| 68.63 Sq Kms km²|
–Total (as of 2001)
| Time zone|
| IST (UTC)|
| 14°31' N|
Davanagere is a district head quarter located on NH4 at a distance of about 260 Km away from Bangalore. During 1997, Davanagere was bifurcated from Chitradurga district and made district head quarter consisting of six taluks viz Davanagere, Harihara, Honnali, Chennagiri, Jagalur and Harapanahalli. This city is an important educational, commercial and industrial center. Davanagere City is situated in the heart of the Karnataka state and it is located at 14° 28’ altitude and 75° 59’ latitude with an elevation of 602.5mts above the mean sea level. The City is well connected by a network of national and state highways and also Poona - Bangalore railway line.
Articles about Davanagere:
- Davanagere:Children's activities
- Davanagere:Current events
- Davanagere:Food and drink
- Davanagere:Government ("who ya gonna call" if there's a fountain flooding the road?)
- Davanagere:Media (newspapers, radio stations, etc.)
- Davanagere:Medical facilities (hospitals, clinics, etc.)
- Davanagere:Natives (famous people born in Davanagere)
- Davanagere:Prominent people (which residents have been in the public eye?)
Davanagere is derived from the word "DAVANA KERE" which means "Village of Lake" This City has historical background, as this village was with in the province of "Nolambavady" ruled by great Chalukya Kings. During 1173-1220, this province was ruled by Pandyas. Then Hoysalas ruled this province after defeating Pandyas. In 1342, Nolamba province was conquered by the great kings of Vijayanagara. After the downfall of Vijayanagara Kingdom, it came into the hands of local "Palyagars" of Chitradurga. This province was also ruled by Maratha Sardars as this town was given to Maratha sardar, Sri Devrao as "Jahagirs" by Hyderali. This part of land became very prosperous during the reign of Tippu Sultan and Mysore Maharajas.
Famous for Special cuisine Benne Dosa (Butter dosa) Populaerly known world wide as "Davanagere Benne Dosa" famous for mandakki and menasinakayi!!